Rainwave - Dream of Refuge Rainwave - Dream of Refuge

Unce Unce Unce Un.. Oh it's over?

I very rarely give tens :)

Normally I write a huge paragraph with critique and suggestions, but there's just nothing to say this time. You've pretty much made the ideal dance track :D

Well, maybe there is one thing. Transitions. Your melodies and your mixing is absolutely stunning, I just feel like every new segment kind of just... happens; No buildups (except in your interludes). You need a bit more anticipation in the last measures before new segments. Up-slides, Siren noises, reverse crashes, drum rolls, glitches, gate-ing, pitch bending, there's a million things you could do :D It would make this track just that much more perfect.

I guess I ate my own words, managed to get a wall of text anyway :P

Cheers for producing audible joy! <3 No homo.

Indigorain responds:

"I very rarely give tens :)"
Put a big freakin' smile on mah face :D
Well, now you put it that way, you're right, there's not much building to something, I did give it crashes and downsweeps, but nothing to build úp.
I really focussed on happy, but I guess that's one thing that worked out! :D
Thanks a lot for the review and the love man! No homo xD

[Grayz] Shredding techno(Isuck [Grayz] Shredding techno(Isuck

Holy crap

This track is clipping like an insane barber. That kick is RIDICULOUS. Throw some soft clippers and limiters in there man! During your filter sweeps, the low frequencies ate everything.

Also the leads could be a bit louder. You've got some crazy melodies, but they're being devoured by that monstrous percussion

But i'd be lying if I said I wasn't jamming the hell out :D If you get the mastering/mixing right, keep that kick as loud as it is, and manage to boost the rest of the sounds without it clipping, this track could be amazing. Well done, my good man.

GrayZ responds:

A review from you means alot. You have being making music since like xmas and you're on professional level already, it's insane haha

I'll work on this to make it not clip and stoof,

IF you promise to keep on making amazing free music ;)

Thanks alot man :)

[GrayZ] Some more shit. [GrayZ] Some more shit.

mmm.

There's just something about that chord progression isn't there? :)

I must say, awesome melodies. I'm a sucker for high pitched saw leads. They always feel nostalgic.

Also, I have to say that the filtering at :55 was a bit ...'full on'. Maybe tone it down a bit lol. I usually route my drums and my instruments through different 'pre-master' channels. That way I can filter sweep on just the drums or just the instruments seperately.

Anyway, you better tell me if you finish this, I love what you've got so far. :D

Little Birdy Little Birdy

Steel drums are hard to find,

Aren't they? I've been trying to track some decent ones down for months xD I ended up using Sakura, but it's not the same lol.

ANYWAY. This is fantastic. But I have to say it does get a tad repetitive. And a few of your transitional chords sounded a bit off and/or out of place. Completely made up for though, this is a tasty jam :P

Spwee - Alpine. Spwee - Alpine.

Finally!

Someone else who writes as short of songs as I do!

Tastey jam my friend. The cymbal at 1:23 was a tad loud. Other than that Awesome. Could use some piano, but that's just because I throw piano in everything :P

P.S. You've inspired me. A barely recognizable Lady Gaga will appear in my next track.

Scratchmyballs responds:

The cymbal at 1:23 was VERY loud, I do agree with you on that.

And yes, I write short songs because I feel like the song doesn't need to be super long unless it's going to be played a club or something xD

It's just a weird habit I have with my track length :P

Also that's great xD I want to get a vst called "Melodyne" for voices I use, but it only works for Ableton and I use Fruity loops, so I just have to stick with Fruity slicer for now :/

Thanks for your review Urngez! :D

Daybreak. Daybreak.

Oh my.

Quality wise, this is one of the best first songs i've ever heard. That kick is punchy as hell, the snare fits nicely with it, great (albeit fairly loud) bass, and a nice saw lead over it.

Here's some criticism though. On all your transitions you used the fruity Free Filter. You might wanna step away from that; It's a really full on effect and needs to be used sparingly. I recommend using reverse crashes, snare rolls, and other filtering effects for your transitions to keep things fresh. There's alot of things you can do.

Also, I think some of your instruments are a bit loud. The bass kind of drowns everything out, along with your saw lead. You can barely hear the hi-hats over it. Try working on that next time :P EQing helps alot too. By cutting out frequencies you can make room for other sounds while still keeping the same volume.

1:22 was an awesome break. Some effects here and there would do awesomely. Maybe some delay on the piano? That lead you had over it was a great call too by the way, i'm a sucker for distorted, airy type things lol. Only problem is your transition back, Maybe try filtering your bass back into the song at 1:43? As is it's kind of ... jarring :P

There's some other stuff too, but since this is your first song, i'll let it slide :P Seriously awesome work here though, Some people take ages to get this good of sound quality. Song structure wasn't that bad either, reminded me of a few of my first songs; Dancey bass, Catchy lead, and of course a piano break lol.

... Whoa, sorry for the wall of text lol. Anyways I look forward to more! Keep up the good work dude.

AustinHayes responds:

Thanks for the feedback man! I'll definitely have some much better stuff soon. And consider all of your suggestions duly noted:D

Sound of my Dream (RW remix) Sound of my Dream (RW remix)

/jawdrop

Dude I loved the original! I think most of us can say that was one of our first techno songs, and I think you're playing our nostalgia like a drum :P Either way, glorious.

You knnow, you compliment my mastering, but here you are pumpin' stuff like this out; this blows the mastering of most other versions of this song to hell. Bravo :P The guy below me says the volume of the voice falls at the drop? It doesn't really. I'm actually surprised it didn't with all dat bass lol

Only critique is that I think you rely a bit too heavily on the bass. Particularly at 1:20. Maybe rely isn't the right word. It just feels like it drones a bit much. Maybe throw some filters on it? High passes make the world go 'round.

Anyway, great job on the mix, Maybe not groundbreaking in terms of dance, but i'll be damned if it doesn't do it's job :D

Indigorain responds:

Whoo!
Thank! You! Sir! :D
Thanks for the compliments man! Haha, the mastering on the other tracks was one of the things that made me remix it :P
But thanks for the advice, I agree about the bass, I've been struggling with that throughout progress, because everything I added affected the bass.
But anyway, I'm really really grateful for this review! Thanks a whole lot man! :D

F-king Piano F-king Piano

Nice concept

Could be executed better.

I love the combination of piano and dubstep. I do it all the time. However, you need some work on it. The melody for the piano is great, but sounds very robotic since all the notes velocities are the same. Try to imagine how it would actually sound on a piano, and plot in the velocities where you see fit. It'll make it sound more realistic :P. If it sounds too quiet after doing this, try using compression to pump up the volume a bit. finally, the piano could really use a wider, longer reverb.

As for the wobbles, Great start. I would use some stereo seperation to widen it out, and boost the higher frequencies with an EQ. Try cutting out some frequencies around 500Hz, that usually helps the sound in my experience. Also you might want to add a few different types of wobbles. Just some food for thought :)

You lead was spot on, loved it. Great slides, awesome melody. Reverb made the song feel more airy. In fact you might want to consider adding more reverb to everything else to fit in with that vibe.

Finally, the percussion needs some OOMPH. I'd recommend watching some of Trancecrafter's tutorials on Youtube. He's got alot of useful stuff.

Anyway, great start, Hope I didn't sound too negative lol. Just trying to give some concrete feedback. i'd love to hear where it goes if you ever work on it more.

P.S. Search for EVM Grand Piano if you're interested. It's a fantastic free piano VST. Not that you have to, I just like spreading the word :P

Race Around the World Race Around the World

Ergh

You should look up Waterflame. He's got a pretty famous song by the same name :/

But that has nothing to do with the song itself does it? :P

It felt somewhat empty. You should really work on your mixing/mastering to bring out all the elements in the track and to make everything fit. As is all your pads and leads sounded pretty raw. Eqing, stereo seperation, compression, reverb, and whatnot are your friends
- The lead at 1:12 needs some harmony methinks. The melody itself could use a few flourishes and some more surprises.

Kinda catchy though. I can see it being used in a racing game to be honest :P Oh! And that voice was a nice touch.

Anyway, keep it up. Also do you think you could give my newest track a listen? Thanks!

RawGreen responds:

When I titled the song, I was thinking of the movie, I didn't realize someone else had the same title. Then again, when I made my first Tetris remix I did the same thing.

Thank you for your insightful advice, I will go over everything you've mentioned thus far.
I'll check out your stuff gladly.
Thankyou <3

Fighting (FF7 Cover) Fighting (FF7 Cover)

LOL!

[insert nostalgia here]

Dude, 0:56 is orgasmic. That's been like my favorite "riff" of just about any song ever since I heard it in the original game. Awesome.